Flash Flood! Good, Bad & Ugly Product Frenzies
Flash demand -- a catchy term synonymous with “Be careful what you wish for.” It is a new reality in an instant-gratification world, a blindside hit to retailers who have no idea a product has suddenly become the latest media-fueled must-have. It’s happened with products that don’t even exist like the red Swingline stapler with a starring role in “Office Space.” And while demand with no product is bad, and too much demand with not-enough product isn’t much better, if you know it’s coming flash demand can really rock the bottom line – in a good way. Start-ups and big retailers alike are figuring out the flash demand equation today, including which strategies to employ and what technologies to embrace. Attendees will walk away better prepared to deal with the impacts of social media and the deluge in data on demand, and recover from the flood if it all goes bad.
Additional Supporting Materials
- Can media-fueled product demand be both a blessing and a curse?
- In what ways can social media impact inventory management?
- Is there a secret sauce to using social media to generate sales?
- Is there a place for data science in all this? Can it help determine what customers really want?
- Where does technology fit into the flash demand (and response) equation?
- Cathy Choi Sephora
- Aarthi Ramamurthy True&Co
- Tracy Chu Walmart Labs (formerly Kosmix)
- Mike Dauber Battery Ventures
Amy Grady Battery Ventures
Show me another